Sims Metal Management Staff Accountant in West Chicago, Illinois
Sims Lifecycle Services (SLS) provides global solutions to extend the life of IT and electronic devices, and the company recognizes the value in end-of-life electronic assets, components and materials. SLS supports Fortune 500 companies in navigating ongoing technology shifts by securely and responsibly managing the disposition of IT equipment and recycling of electronic products. SLS works with enterprises and major cloud providers to deliver decommissioning of corporate IT assets and data center equipment.
Reporting to the Accounting Supervisor/Manager, the Staff Accountant is responsible for applying principles of accounting to record transactions, analyze financial information, and prepare financial reports by compiling information and utilizing appropriate accounting control procedures. The incumbent will also provide assistance with month end close, outbound invoicing, year-end audit, budget, and forecast activities, as well as support the Operations teams and Corporate Accounting/Finance Department.
- Comply with all Safety, Health, Environment, Community, and Sustainability (SHECS) policies, procedures, and initiatives, including the SimsMMway Program, to ensure a safe work environment.
- Comply with all Company policies, procedures, and initiatives.
- Support diversity and inclusion, positive employee relations, and team environment.
- Perform month-end/year-end close procedures and account reconciliations.
- Perform day to day invoicing of client inbound or customer outbound sales, including wholesale and ecommerce sales.
- Assist in development of yearly forecast and budget.
- Proactively interface with sales teams at all SRS locations for problem resolution.
- Liaise with management, internal and external auditors, and operations.
- Prepare monthly reports for distribution to management.
- Approve sales orders after verifying customer credit worthiness; review and approve any credit memos.
- Perform ad-hoc projects assigned by immediate supervisor or executive team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reuse Sales Department, Plant Managers, Sales, Accounting, and Administrative personnel
- Work is normally performed in a typical office work environment
- Typical use of office equipment including computers, telephones, copiers, etc.
- Significant amount of time spent via e-mail and telephone speaking and listening
- Long periods of sitting, standing, and walking
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment such as hard hat, safety shoes, safety glasses, ear plugs, fitted dust mask, etc., as required
- Must be able to take on new assignments as needed regardless of existing workload
- Must be able to work under deadlines and related stresses in a timely manner
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting
- CPA Preferred
- Public accounting (Big 4) experience preferred
- Some general accounting experience including invoicing clients/customers, AR follow-up, cash Application, journal entries
- Financial reporting and analysis preferred
- Account reconciliations & month end close experience preferred
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, including Word and Excel
- Analytical and problem-solving ability
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet various deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Microsoft Dynamics/Navision experience preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled