UnityPoint Health Emergency Technician - ED - Rock Island - part-time - evenings in Rock Island, Illinois
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Under the direct supervision of a Nurse, provide basic nursing care for the personal and comfort needs of the patient.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Contributes toward accomplishment of patient’s Plan of Care goals by providing care activities as assigned by the nurse.
· Implements and administrates age appropriate care in accordance with established Practice Guidelines, Policies/Procedures and State/Federal Law in regards to hygiene, nutritional, elimination, and activity measures as well as non-sterile/non-invasive procedures, oxygen setup, simple dressings, traction set-up, blood glucose testing, measuring and recording vital signs and non-sterile specimen collection.
· Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care.
· Promotes, monitors and maintains a safe clean environment by assisting with identifying safety needs of patients and modifying the environment to meet these needs, perform light housekeeping functions to maintain a clean, neat and orderly work/patient care area, adhering to established Universal/Standard precautions.
· Provides for efficient operation of unit/department by taking initiative and assuming other responsibilities as needed.
· Contributes effectively to the communication needs of the department by acknowledging patients, healthcare providers and visitors upon arrival to the unit, engaging in collaborative communication, identifying and reporting patient care concerns in a timely manner, practicing excellent telephone etiquette.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Successful completion and documentation of one of the following:
· Active Certified Nursing Assistant as listed on the IA or IL Healthcare Worker Registry and/or active certification in another state and awaiting certification in state of employment
· Certified Nursing Assistant listed as inactive on a Healthcare Worker Registry who is currently in a role similar to a Patient Care Technician in a hospital or similar non-skilled/long term care facility. Previous certification and registry status must have been obtained; current employment as a Certified Nursing Assistant must be verified.
· Graduation from an accredited nursing program and waiting for NCLEX re-examination.
· Current employment as a PCT working within Trinity Medical Center that were grandfathered into the PCT position title; continued employment as a PCT must be maintained otherwise recertification will be required.
· Obtain CPI within one year.
· EMT – B or MA.
Current CPR certification
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Knowledge of Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
Customer/patient service skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Completion of the Emergency Department Tech Teaching Rubric after hire
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities.
Requisition ID: 2019-55591
Street: 2701 17th St
Name: 6020 UnityPoint Health QC Trinity
Name: ED- RI
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.6
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 12:00pm-12:30am
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org