UnityPoint Health Pathology Technician in Peoria, Illinois
The Pathology Technician is responsible for managing the daily workload of incoming Histology specimens for the Anatomic Pathology (AP) department. The individual in this role must work closely with the Pathologists, Pathology Assistants, AP Coordinator, and Histotechs to ensure that we are meeting the needs of the hospital, surgeons, radiologists and other submitting physicians in order to provide the best and most timely diagnoses. This includes, but is not limited to: preparing frozen section slides, ensuring proper labeling and accessioning of all submitted specimens, providing cross-campus coverage as needed, filing/retrieving slides, blocks and wet tissue, and preparing cases for delivery to the pathologists on various campuses.
Demonstrates technical skills required to prepare Histology and Cytology specimens
· Retrieves all specimens from surgery multiple times each day. Matches all specimens with requisitions.
· Ensures specimens and requisitions are labeled with two patient identifiers and specimen source; follows up on any unlabeled, incorrectly labeled specimens/requisitions.
· Ensures all specimens submitted in proper fixative.
· Ensures proper fixation/processing for flow cytometry specimens (placement in RPMI and refrigeration).
· Communicates with Histology team, Pathologists and Pathologist Assistant on any issues with submissions. Contacts submitting departments as needed for corrections, clarifications or rejections.
· Accessions specimens, labels properly (checking two patient identifiers), prepares case for gross dictation.
· Assists PA or Pathologist as requested during grossing.
· Ensures processors are started at the appropriate times and notifies supervisor as well as notes on communication board if times will deviate from schedule.
· Maintains daily temperature logs for refrigerator/freezer and cryostats; performs decontamination as needed.
· Communicates with outside clients and providers as needed.
· Ensures grossing and accessioning areas are well-organized and clean.
· Sends out specimens as needed.
- Demonstrates technical skills required to assist on interoperative procedures
· Organizes work priorities to provide exceptional service and turnaround time
· Prepares fine needle biopsy smears in CT/Angio suites, including proper staining for review and assisting during interoperative procedure.
· Knowledgeable and skilled in routine H&E staining.
· Knowledgeable and skilled in embedding tissue for frozen sections.
· Knowledgeable and skilled in sectioning frozen tissue specimens and assisting during interoperative consultations.
· Ensures frozen section and fine needle specimens are properly labeled and are accompanied by appropriate requisitions (also appropriately labeled).
· Consults pathologist as needed.
- Participates in support activities necessary to ensure a smooth and efficiently run operation
· Enters charges in Epic for frozen sections performed at Proctor (OR and Peoria Day Surgery cases).
· Enters charges in Epic for consultation cases received from Associates in Dermatology.
· Enters other charges as needed.
· Ensures proper supplies available in histology, including reagents used for staining, etc.; orders when necessary.
· Answers all incoming Histology and Pathology calls.
· Maintains policies and procedures for department, ensures adherence to policies and reports non-compliance.
· Ensures regulatory guidelines such as CAP are met.
· Generates and reads emails.
· Displays a willingness and interest in learning new procedures or cross-training.
· Supports co-workers in other departments and on the downtown campus.
· Floats to downtown campus as needed.
· Acts as backup Payroll editor - edits time corrections, signs off on biweekly payroll, enters time off, etc as needed.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School Diploma preferred.
1-3 years of experience in/with word processing.
1 year experience in Pathology (particularly with performing frozen sections) preferred.
Certification by the American Association of Medical Transcription is preferred.
a. Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-worker
b. Interaction with a wide variety of people
c. Maintain confidential information
d. Ability to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal information
e. Ability to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanor
a. Basic computer knowledge: Uses word processing, spreadsheet, e-mail application, and web browser. Comfortable within a Windows OS and learning new applications.
b. Windows Operating System
c. E-mail application
Requisition ID: 2021-90555
Street: 221 NE Glen Oak Ave
Name: 5020 UnityPoint Health Methodist Medical Center
Name: Laboratory- MMCI
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 1230-2100
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org