UnityPoint Health Certified Medical Assistant - Surgery Pre-Op - Methodist in Peoria, Illinois
Our team members are the compassionate core of who we are and how we serve. Every day we strive to live out our vision statement of “Best outcome every patient every time” through living out our FOCUS values of Foster Unity, Own the Moment, Champion Excellence, and Seize Opportunities.
At UnityPoint Health, we provide care in nine regions throughout Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin. As the nation’s fourth largest nondenominational health system in America, UnityPoint Health keeps people at the center of all we do. We are looking for dynamic and talented individuals to join our team. You'll find opportunities for every sized dream.
Full Time (32 hours per week) - Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
Pre-Op/Surgery - Methodist Campus
6:00 am - 2:30 pm
Description of Position: The Certified Medical Assistant assists with basic patient care to ambulatory surgical patients under the supervision of a registered nurse and physician.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence Focus: Promotes the use of evidence based practice through the appropriate care protocols and procedures.
· Collect pertinent patient care data, diagnostic testing, treatments, and review medical records and confer with registered nurse or physician to ensure patient needs are met.
· Collaborate with healthcare team according to plan of care.
· Completes required documentation as appropriate, including patient chart and event reports
· Demonstrates professional accountability for own practice as evidenced through seeking resources and continuing self-development
· Participates in learning new procedures, policies, equipment and treatments
· Demonstrates technical knowledge of equipment and troubleshoots when problems arise
· Promotes the professional development of self and team members
· Shares clinical knowledge through informal teaching and in response to the learning needs of others
· Performs select clinical duties, including but not limited to:
o Taking Vital Signs
o Preparing patients for surgical procedures
o Verifying and reconciling medical records/patient history/patient flowsheets
o Completing patient admissions, releasing orders, and starting the admission process.
o Ordering and/or collecting laboratory specimens
o Passing/Administering Medications – oral, topical, suppositories, and IM injections
· Demonstrate flexibility in performing other duties as assigned by the nurse or physician.
· Document care provided
Work Environment & Culture Focus: Participates in interdisciplinary care of patient through collaboration with team members and utilizes additional resources when necessary.
· Analyzes clinical situations in a systematic way and acts to obtain resources or correct problems to meet or exceed expected outcomes or patient needs
· Recognizes need for assistance and utilizes resources in a timely manner
· Demonstrates ownership and persistence to ensure problem is resolved in best way possible.
· Consistently prioritizes work based on changes in patient condition, changes in assignment and unanticipated interruptions
· Assists in the maintenance of a therapeutic environment that promotes effective and cost-efficient care and that provides for the safety of patients, visitors, and staff
· Identifies and utilizes team resources to solve identified problems or needs
· Collaborates with the health care team in the organization of tasks and activities for the patient's care from admission to discharge according to the plan of care and to meet identified expected outcomes
· Advocates with physicians on patient's behalf when necessary
· Utilizes communication and teamwork strategies aimed at promoting high team performance and achieving optimal patient outcomes and unit productivity
· Chooses an appropriate and meaningful communication style when interacting with others; gives and accepts constructive feedback to/from peers
- Patient Education Focus: Adapts teaching strategies appropriately to meet the patient's/family's age specific needs.
· Adapts teaching strategies based on patient's response, readiness to learn and level of comprehension
· Promote patient wellness and provide patient education.
· Takes cultural, age-specific, gender, and developmental factors into consideration when teaching patients about procedures, illness, hospital experience, etc.
· Assists the nursing staff with patient education involving a wide variety of health related subjects
· Ensures patient safety in the hospital environment by following policy/procedures and adhering to National Patient Safety Goals
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education
· Utilizes SVI patient education system and other resources for patients and family members
- Performance Improvement Focus: Actively participates in data collection, analysis, problem solving and gives input on process improvements and patient satisfaction.
· Assures that the care provided is consistent with standards of care, evidence based practices, national patient safety goals, core measures and other quality initiatives undertaken by the unit/hospital
· Participates in continuing education by attending conferences and various meetings
· Works with interdisciplinary team in identifying opportunities for improvement in patient care and patient/family satisfaction
· Actively promotes and achieves customer satisfaction (patient, family, departments, physicians)
· Participates in the implementation of Performance Improvement initiatives
· Promptly and efficiently follows up on patient/family requests/needs - anticipates patient/family needs
· Communicates effectively with patients, co-workers and others
· Encourages coworkers in achieving excellent customer satisfaction; utilizes organizational service excellence standards
· Serves on unit based councils
· Identifies practice problems on the unit
· Implements changes in own clinical practice based on literature and unit process improvement outcomes
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Certificate of completion from an accredited Medical Assisting training program
2 or more years of experience in a surgical/clinical environment
Knowledge of and experience with electronic medical records (EMRs)
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
· Certified Medical Assistant through NHA or AAMA
Basic oral English skills
Interaction with a wide variety of people
Maintain Confidential Information
Ability to communicate with only the facts to recipients or decline to reveal information.
Ability to project a professional, friendly, helpful, demeanor
Basic computer knowledge: uses word processing, spreadsheet, e-mail application, and web browsers
Comfortable within a Windows OS and learning new applications.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-78218
Street: 221 NE Glen Oak Ave
Name: 5020 UnityPoint Health Methodist Medical Center
Name: Surgery Pre-OP- MMCI
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.8
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 0600-1430
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org