UnityPoint Health EKG/Monitor Technician - Critical Care Unit - Pekin Hospital in Pekin, Illinois
Full Time, Benefitted
7:00pm - 7:30am; 36 hrs a week, every other weekend and holiday rotation
This position is cross-trained to Unit Secretary, Monitor Tech, and CNA duties. Observes, identifies, documents and communicates various cardiac rhythms and reports changes to the patient’s assigned nurse and/or physician. Assists the nurse in the provision of patient care by performing assignment patient care and unit maintenance activities.
About UnityPoint Health:
Our team members are the compassionate core of who we are and how we serve. Every day we strive to live out our vision statement of “Best outcome every patient every time” through living out our FOCUS values of Foster Unity, Own the Moment, Champion Excellence, and Seize Opportunities.
At UnityPoint Health, we provide care in nine regions throughout Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin. As the nation’s fourth largest nondenominational health system in America, UnityPoint Health keeps people at the center of all we do. We are looking for dynamic and talented individuals to join our team. You'll find opportunities for every sized dream.
Want to know about our culture and benefits? Click here to find out more: https://uphtotalrewards.com/.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Continuously observes, evaluates, and recalls cardiac rhythms of telemetry patients. Ensures proper function of monitoring equipment, maintains adequate supplies, and uses troubleshooting techniques to enhance optimal utilization of equipmentscore: N/A
· Assessment of cardiac rhythm
o Accurately interprets cardiac rhythms.
o Measures EKG intervals to make accurate cardiac rhythm assessment.
o Recognizes dysrhythmias or changes in EKG complex promptly
o Monitors Q waves, ST segment and QT intervals and notes changes
o Responds to all monitoring outcomes
o Investigates the cause of any interruption in reception of the heart rhythm
o Accurately documents EKG rhythm strips
o Documents all changes in rhythms or EKG complex
o Gives concise, complete end of shift report
o Gives concise, complete EKG rhythm report to the RN caring for the patient on telemetry as requested.
o Reports all changes in rhythm and EKG complex to the RN caring for the patient on telemetry
o Interacts with physicians when inquiries are made
o Reports any interruption in reception of heart rhythm
· score: N/A
· Knowledgeable about monitoring systems
o Able to use the functions of the monitoring system and individualize settings to each patient's need
o Correctly enters monitoring changes in the computer
o Uses problem-solving skills and past experiences to optimize use of monitoring equipment or to address equipment failure
o Seeks assistance from peers, Unit Leader or Biomedical Engineering to address equipment concerns
o Reports equipment failures immediately
· Maintains supplies
o Maintains responsibility for controlling equipment and supplies
o Documents and tracks equipment use
o Reports equipment needs to Unit Leader
o Restocks MT supplies as needed
· Knowledge and education
o Successfully completes certification EKG test and ongoing recertifications
o Attends and participates in unit meetings and required in-services
o Interacts with CNS to advance skills
o Shares information with peers.
Acts as a receptionist for the unit promoting positive relationships with those interacting with the nursing unit.score: N/A
· Greets visitors, physicians, patients, and staff in a friendly receptive manner
· Promptly and courteously acknowledges individuals at the desk
· Displays warmth, concern and respect for those needing assistance
· Answers telephone timely, professionally, identifying unit, name, and title
· Establishes positive working relationships with other hospital personnel
· Knowledgeable and respectful of the roles other ancillary department personnel have in delivering patient care
· Prioritizes and accurately channels incoming and outgoing information
· Maintains flexibility and is able to adapt to rapidly changing environment and work volume. i.e. Code Blue, UAT, staffing needs
Performs Patient Care Activities as delegated by the Nurse utilizing applicable policies and procedures to ensure patient needs and expectations are met.
· Knowledgeable and skilled in applicable procedures in providing care.
o Provides hygiene needs of assigned patients (AM/PM care, oral hygiene and denture care, perineal care, shampoo, bathing, shaving, care of TED/SCD hose.)
o Provides nutritional needs of assigned patients. (Tray distribution, setting up trays, offering supplements, feeding, adding tube feeding and recording intake.)
o Provides elimination needs of assigned patient. (Foley care, bowel movements, bladder training, enemas, and external catheters; records output.)
o Provides skin care of assigned patients. (turning, positioning, recognition and prevention of skin breakdown, operation of special beds, nail care, and back rubs.)
o Provides comfort measures (Proper positioning, back rubs, oral care, wrinkle free bed sheets and ensuring that bedside table, water pitcher, urinal are within reach.)
o Provides activity needs of assigned patients (i.e. dangling, turning, chair, ambulating, walker, and crutches).
o Performs measurements of assigned patients (I&O, hemoccult, gastrocult, TPR, B/P, weights, empty drains, abdominal girth, hose measurements).
o Performs additional skills as directed and supervised by the nurse, after training and certification, i.e. intermittent urinary catheterization and clean dressing changes (varies by unit or area).
· Assists with admission, transfer, and discharge of patient.
o Completes assigned aspects of admission process including vital signs, height and weight, room setup, room orientation, assists patient to bed, assures call light available etc.
o Sets up equipment for care (IV poles, admission kit, others)
o Stores and transfers belongings (dentures, hearing aids, glasses and other personal items).
o Packs up all patient belongings at discharge.
· Achieves patient satisfaction when providing patient care.
o Makes rounds minimally every two hours to assure that patients are comfortable, positioned properly, call light available, room orderly.
o Patient needs are met and satisfaction of care is expressed
o Demonstrates ability to anticipate patient needs
o Answers all call lights promptly
o Respects privacy
· Reports pertinent patient information to the nurse assigned to the patient in a timely manner.
· Documentation is completed prior to leaving shift.
Assumes personal responsibility for patient, environmental and personal safety.score: N/A
· Provides for safety measures of assigned patients (lifting, transfers, side rails, bed checks, call lights, gait belt use, back safety, slide board, use of restraints.)
· Maintains clear hallways and doorways on an ongoing basis.
· Uses protective equipment appropriately.
· Always washes hands between patients and procedures.
· Practices good body mechanics, getting assistance as needed to protect patient and own safety.
· Promptly reports unsafe equipment of risky situations.
· Alert and responsive to all alarms/call lights.
· Demonstrates a practical problem solving approach to patient moving and handling issues
· Demonstrates skills to promote patient and staff safety through appropriate use of lift equipment.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School Diploma/GED preferred.
1-3 years of experience in nursing assisting preferred.
Medical terminology, typing and knowledge of computer system preferred.
Certificate of completion from an accredited Nurse Aide training program and successful completion of the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) approved Nursing Assistant competency examination.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-81716
Street: 600 S. 13th St
Name: 5320 UnityPoint Health Pekin
Name: Critical Care Unit
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.9
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 1900-0730
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org