AbbVie Senior Data Scientist Lead in North Chicago, Illinois
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter (https://twitter.com/abbvie) , Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/AbbVieGlobal) , Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/abbvie/?hl=en) , YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/AbbVie) and LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/company/abbvie) .
AbbVie’s Information Research (IR) group has a mission to unlock the information that makes cures possible. Within IR, the Library Information Science (LIS) team builds tools and provides services that help AbbVie scientific, business and regulatory professionals interact with, manage and consume knowledge from various content sources to foster innovation in drug discovery and development. We leverage leading technologies and methods to provide AbbVie professionals with timely insights from scientific literature and other content sources.
We are creating a new role within LIS to provide technical leadership for a team of knowledge science professionals on our Literature-based Scientific Discovery (LSD) team. LIS has been on a three year transformation in which we have completely redesigned how scientists consume literature and how we extract information from a broad set of content sources. We have incorporated the best of consumer digital applications as we aspire to make engaging with scientific literature as easy as engaging with music on Spotify. Our literature watches and proprietary tools allow our scientists to stream scientific literature and receive highly relevant literature suggestions leveraging artificial intelligence and machine learning approaches.
This individual will lead our LSD-FAIR team which will be focused on supporting the development of a robust knowledge ingestion engine for a broad set of scientific literature-based inputs and creating a consistent and always-current knowledge stream for AbbVie scientists. The LSD-FAIR team will be comprised of highly technical, highly scientific individuals motivated to create industry-leading knowledge science capabilities for AbbVie. Additionally, the LSD-FAIR team will partner with a broad array of organizational partners (Data Science, AI/ML, Software Development, PMO) to co-create and deliver solutions. To be successful in this role you must be skilled at focusing the efforts of highly motivated staff and influencing colleagues to work together to have a real impact. Additionally this manager will have to have a keen awareness of a rapidly changing technology landscape and the ability to effectively scope and lead technical projects to successfully enable our team in delivering these capabilities to AbbVie.
• Manage and develop a high performing technical team focused on knowledge & data extraction and ingestion from scientific and internal content sources
• Develop strong relationships with R&D leaders as well as matrix partners across BTS/IR especially with the Data Science group
• Work closely with peers in BTS/IR and subject matter experts from the business to build and maintain a Common Data Model for Biomedical Research Purposes
• Work in close partnership with our AI/ML expert group to build unique capabilities which allow us to identify knowledge patterns, graphing out and connect knowledge sources from internal and external.
• Develop and execute organizational strategies to build and leverage FAIR data principles & capabilities including engagement in critical near term initiatives such as our enterprise wide AbbVie Data Strategy Program
• Engage the team in developing AbbVie thought leadership related to FAIR data, NLP, ontologies, computational linguistics, knowledge visualization, etc.
• Manage operational, financial and resource planning for LIS-FAIR services
• Achieve great results while overwhelmingly demonstrating key AbbVie values and behaviors
• Advise IR leadership on industry trends and customer needs related to LIS capabilities
• Bachelors degree with 7 years of experience; preferred n Data / Information Science, Life Sciences (Biology, Chemistry), Information Systems, Library Science, Computer Science or related field
• Expert level knowledge of FAIR data practices as well as emerging technologies / frameworks related to ontologies, taxonomies, natural language processing, etc.
• Expert level programming skills in Python and W3C frameworks
• Comfortable with ambiguity and skilled at moving stakeholders towards clarity of requirements
• Strong customer focus and presence
• Comfortable working with staff at all levels of the organization
• Excited about working on a global team with a very diverse customer base
• Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing to scientists and non-scientists
• Ability to manage multiple projects with multiple teams and collaborations
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
- AbbVie Jobs