Edward-Elmhurst Health Medical Assistant Cert/Reg in Naperville, Illinois
Edward-Elmhurst Health includes three hospitals — Edward Hospital, Elmhurst Hospital, and Linden Oaks Behavioral Health — and an extensive ambulatory care network that provides comprehensive healthcare to residents of the west and southwest suburbs of Chicago. Edward-Elmhurst Health provides comprehensive healthcare at more than 60 locations in the suburbs of Chicago. Our success has always been — and always will be — driven by our most talented, reliable, compassionate and skilled people, who genuinely believe in delivering top quality care to our patients and their families. At Edward-Elmhurst Health, you will also experience a vibrant culture and an atmosphere of nurturing support and leadership.
Be DRIVEN to join our over 8,000 employees, 1,700 staff physicians and 1,800 volunteers who want to provide safe, seamless and personalized care every day for our patients, our families and our communities.
Hours: Full time 7a,-6pm M-F. one Saturday every 6th Saturday 730am-12pm . This position is elgible for benefits.
Under general supervision of clinic supervisor, and following established procedures and precedents, prepares patients for physical examination, obtains specimens, conducts select routine laboratory tests and records results, and performs phlebotomy, routine diagnostic tests. Under delegated supervision of a physician; performs clinical and administrative tasks.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (The following duties and responsibilities are all essential job functions, as defined by the ADA, except those that begin with the word "May.")
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of patients served. This includes knowledge of the physical and psychological needs of patients served and the ability to respond appropriately to those needs.
- Reviews patient chart information prior to patient visit in order to ensure all necessary diagnostic and/or laboratory test are available or work to obtain results for provider. Ensures information is complete prior to appointment. Escorts patients to examination rooms, obtains vital signs and other patient data, and makes patient comfortable while waiting for physician. Documents pertinent information in electronic medical record.
- Assists physician during patient examinations and/or procedures by setting up room, providing instruments as requested, completing necessary forms with information provided by physician, and the like. Assists physician with difficult and/or sensitive components of examinations including pap smears.
- Prepares patients and conducts routine tests to include, but not limited to tuberculin testing, records results as appropriate in the patient medical record.
- Collects and prepares specimens for routine laboratory tests (which may include venipuncture, POC testing and specimens to be sent to lab for processing) according to established procedures, completes reports with results, forwards same to physician, and ensures inclusion in electronic patient medical record.
- Documents all pertinent patient information in the electronic medical record such as observations, procedures and treatments. Maintains patient medical records according to hospital standards, including any QI flowsheet documents as appropriate.
- Ensures examination rooms are stocked with necessary supplies in order to ensure timely examination of patients, and notify appropriate staff member when supplies are low.
- Notifies patients in a timely manner of test results under direction of provider. Answers routine questions from patients and/or patient families and directs patients/families to nurse or provider for additional information as needed. Orders additional lab tests and so forth as directed.
- Once successfully completed competency testing, can independently administer select medications/injections per provider’s orders.
- Assists business office staff with business office functions as necessary.
- Partners with other staff members to ensure office operations run efficiently, keeping pace with office patient volumes, and helping to ensure patient wait times are kept to a minimum.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Required Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or GED
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
6 months clinical experience
- Required License/Certification:
Current certification or registration through American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), American Registry of Medical Assistants (ARMA), American Medical Technologies (AMT) or National Center for Medical Assistants (NCMA)
- Current CPR Certification issued by American Heart Association for healthcare providers or, in case of practice acquisition, certification must be obtained within three months of hire date.
- A valid driver’s license is required if the incumbent is selected to perform related duties at an off-site location. If the incumbent uses their personal vehicle, the incumbent must maintain automobile liability coverage as required by law and evidence of such coverage may be requested.
Benefits offered by Edward-Elmhurst Health include:
Medical, dental, and vision
Paid time off
Fitness center membership
Plus many other Employee Perks