Argonne National Laboratory Senior Energy Systems Researcher – Petroleum and Natural Gas - TERM in Lemont, Illinois
Senior Energy Systems Researcher – Petroleum and Natural Gas - TERM
Requisition Number: 408792 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: DIS-Decision and Infrastructure Sciences
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): RD3 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The Decision and Infrastructure Sciences (DIS) Division researches, designs, and delivers scientific tools and methodologies to inform decision-making regarding the most challenging security, risk, and resilience problems. DIS experts have developed methods to understand dependencies and interdependencies within and across infrastructure systems, strengthen infrastructure security and resilience, and respond to emergencies. As a multidisciplinary national laboratory, Argonne offers an exciting atmosphere in which to collaborate on interdisciplinary projects that focus on complex technical problems and integrated application of natural, social, and computer science practices.
DIS is seeking a Senior Energy Systems Researcher with experience in petroleum and/or natural gas engineering to apply engineering, vulnerability assessment, and energy systems analysis techniques to oil and natural gas storage and transportation infrastructure issues at the local, regional, and national levels. Additionally, the ideal candidate may also provide technical and outreach support to oil and gas sector-related cybersecurity research and be knowledgeable of cybersecurity testing approaches for operational technology (OT) and information technology (IT) components.
Develops and applies tools for the analysis of engineering from a systems perspective. Tools include computer simulations, databases, algorithms, and computational methodologies. Analyses include system operation and expansion, life cycle analysis, engineering economics and finance, optimization and equilibrium analysis, impact analysis, market penetration, and interdependencies with other infrastructure systems.
Provides technical and outreach support to oil and gas sector-related cybersecurity research. Knowledgeable of cybersecurity testing approaches for operational technology (OT) and information technology (IT) components.
Previous experience in the oil and gas sector is required. Responsibilities also include documenting and communicating results to internal and external stakeholders.
Advanced degree in a related engineering field, mathematics, operations research, computer science, or similar discipline.
- Knowledge of oil and natural gas transmission and distribution modeling approaches.
- Knowledge of oil and natural gas components to support vulnerability assessment and systems analysis.
- Experience assessing and/or analyzing oil and natural gas systems at local, regional, and national levels.
- Knowledge of data sources about oil and natural gas infrastructure systems.
- Experience building and maintaining analytic models or tools, preferably with a focus on oil and natural gas systems.
- Experience transforming outputs from tools and models into cogent and compelling analytic products for internal and external partnes.
- Knowledge of computer programming in one or more languages (Python, Java Script, Julia, etc.)
- Knowledge or experience with cybersecurity issues facing oil and natural gas infrastructure systems.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Skill in leading and contributing to team efforts with internal and external partners.
- Skill in effectively producing results through self-motivated efforts.
- A successful candidate must have the ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
RD3 -Bachelor's & 8+ yrs, Master's & 5+ yrs or Doctorate & 4+ yrs,
RD4- Bachelor's & 12+ yrs, Master's & 7+ yrs or Doctorate & 6+ yrs,
Successful applicants for this position must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, be able to successfully obtain a "Q/SCI" security clearance and pass a drug test prior to employment.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
Argonne National Laboratory
- Argonne National Laboratory Jobs