Argonne National Laboratory Pre-Doctoral Researcher in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 408662 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: ES-Energy Systems
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Education Required: Not Indicated
Level (Grade): 916040 Shift: 8:30 - 5:00 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Provide support to the principal investigator in the Advanced Mobility Technology Laboratory at the Center for Transportation Research. Assist in building and using analysis tools to process, examine, and report on data collected from on-dyno and on-road vehicle experiments exploring connected and automated vehicle technologies. Some experiments may include controls development ranging from reading and generating analog signals to using advanced off-the-shelf controls prototyping hardware. Other project support includes vehicle standards development for electrified vehicles (HEV, PHEV, and BEVs). Standards work will comprise of data mining, analysis, visualizing, reporting and creative problem solving. Programming languages and analysis tool programs along with knowledge of electrified vehicle operation and test methodology are leveraged to support all the activities in this position.
- Excellent skills in basic concepts of mechanical engineering such as calculating and analyzing energy, power, and efficiency along with dealing with many different units and unit conversions.
- Excellent organizational skills in managing complex data sets and analysis code so that documentation of results and reports are easily understood and shared.
- Good knowledge of advanced powertrain operation and testing, in hybrid electric and electric vehicle components and controls.
- Good skills in using various computer-based data analysis and visualization languages and application (including but not limited to Python and common Python libraries, Labview, Excel, Diadem, VBA).
- Good skills in electrical wiring: sensors, trouble shooting, and getting complex systems communicating and working
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong skills in working in a team environment.
- Understanding of vehicle networks like Controller Area Network (CAN)
- Understanding in GIS and or GPS/IMU sensing, location information, mapping, and processing
- A successful candidate must have the ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- Pre-doctoral employee with a recent master's degree in a temporary appointment of one year.
This level of knowledge and skill is typically achieved through college courses in mechanical and electrical engineering analysis and advanced automotive powertrains.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
Argonne National Laboratory
- Argonne National Laboratory Jobs