Progress Rail Services Corp. Software Project Engineer in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 3318BR
Posting Title: Software Project Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Analyze locomotive electrical system requirements and author design documents. Apply specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
Key Job Elements
• Responsible for analyzing electrical system requirements and authoring software design documents based on those requirements;
• Lead a small team of engineers to implement software designs;
• Implement design changes;
• Work with suppliers, plant personnel and others to implement cost reduction, methods and product improvements, and to support build programs;
• Plan and implement test and / or development programs;
• Release software for production;
• Coordinate and consult with departments outside of engineering.
• Domestic and/or International travel of 1-2 weeks per year is typical with this position.
Education / Training
• BSCS or BSCE (MS preferred)
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum 8+ years of experience with embedded programming in C/C++;
• Minimum 5+ years of experience designing complex software systems;
• 3+ years of experience working on Control System Software preferred;
• Experience with networking protocols preferably TCP/IP and CAN;
• Experienced user of software version control programs and configuration management preferably GIT/Stash and Jira;
• Experience with MS Office products;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Candidate is expected to be a self-starter and able to multitask;
• Knowledge of software engineering best practices and quality engineering processes is required.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities