Microsoft Corporation Technical Account Manager in Chicago, Illinois
Microsoft Services for Education help customers realize their full potential through accelerated adoption and productive use of Microsoft technologies. We are a U.S. based team of exceptional people who deliver world class services with partners, earning customer confidence, trust, and loyalty by improving the overall Customer and Partner Experience, serving as the customer advocate within Microsoft and driving customer-centric product improvement.
A Technical Account Manager (TAM) is a trusted business advisor to Microsoft's Premier Support customers. The TAM orchestrates reactive and proactive support offerings related to a customer’s operation and optimization of their IT infrastructure, Office 365 adoption, Azure Integration, and overall business objectives through quality Service Delivery Management. Once a Premier customer has adopted a Microsoft on-premises or cloud solution, if something unexpected occurs the TAM, working with Customer Service and Support (CSS), manages the incident to resolution and then follows up to ensure either product improvement within Microsoft or operational improvement within the customer's IT environment. By maintaining a long-term relationship with their customers, a TAM gains an understanding of the customer’s overall business, goals, and their pain points - which is used by the TAM to create a Service Delivery Plan ensuring that the customer can achieve their business outcomes successfully using Microsoft technologies.
Key success factors
• Customer Health through Service Delivery Planning & Execution
• Customer satisfaction
• Emphasis is on proactive problem prevention and consultative advice (ITIL/MOF)
• This role is responsible for the management of support services to Enterprise Services customers in the Education industry (K-12, Higher Ed, Private Ed, Education Service Providers)
Scope and Decision Making
• Manages a diverse and complex scope of support issues
• Works with management only when necessary to resolve sensitive issues
• Solves complex support issues effectively. Escalates as necessary for confirmation of solutions or other options as needed
• Assesses customer risks and needs and recommends appropriate service offerings to proactively address
• Documents recommendations formally via service delivery plan and presents to customer and virtual account team unit
• Manages the delivery of recommended/agreed-upon services to achieve high customer satisfaction and trust
• Makes good, timely and financially sound decisions with moderate uncertainty or pressure on a consistent basis
• Decisions sometimes impact immediate group and other related groups
• Determines most effective method of problem resolution by utilizing internal resources when necessary
• Consistently demonstrates concise and effective communication with customers and employees
• Occasionally leads sharing of best practices and guidance with team community
• Consistently establishes and maintains working relationships with internal support delivery teams, customer support teams, customer contracts and materiel representatives
• Frequently establishes and maintains relationships with Field Sales and Microsoft Consulting Services (MCS) to execute on a service account/delivery plan
• Position relies internally upon Customer Service and Support Professionals, Premier Field Engineers, and their management, MCS Services (Account Delivery Executives/Project Managers), and Services Account Managers (Services Executives), Enterprise and Partner Group Account Executives, and Premier/Services regional and worldwide HQs
• Communicates with and influences Microsoft Services leadership/management at team level
• Externally position relies upon Customer Support Manager (CSMs) and named Support Contacts - usually comprised of IT managers and individual technical contributors, but influence must extend across the enterprise and include business decision makers (BDMs)
• A minimum of 3 years or more experience in an enterprise support role with a strong understanding of enterprise account support needs and knowledge of the Education industry
• Fundamental knowledge in two or more of the following: Azure/Hybrid Cloud, Office 365, Active Directory, Identity Management, SQL, Dynamics, Cybersecurity, Configuration/Operations Management
• Consistently practices strong organizational, communication, project management, negotiation, and problem solving skills.
• Contributes to team operational precision by active design of and participation in community initiatives
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• ITIL certification or equivalent experience
• Education Industry experience preferred
• This position requires frequent travel to customer locations
• Preferred location(s): Baltimore, MD | Washington, DC | Philadelphia, PA
• U.S. citizenship required
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form at https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.