Northwestern University Research Study Assistant in Chicago, Illinois
This role performs biomedical and/or social-behavioral research involving multidisciplinary teams of colleagues, sponsors and other project stakeholders in the field of gynecologic oncology. Is responsible for screening and consenting patients, administering tests and/or questionnaires following protocols; handling and transporting study samples and supplies; collecting, compiling, tabulating and processing responses; gathering information; and assisting in the preparation of material for inclusion in reports. Completes all activities by strictly following Good Clinical Practices (GCP). Reviews technical operations ensuring that all processes, protocols and procedures are quality controlled and functioning up to standards. Ensures that all study activities are completed and all current institutional, local, state, and federal laws, regulations, guidance, policy and procedures are followed, including those developed by the NU Institutional Review Board (IRB), Food & Drug Administration (FDA) Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), and the International Conference on Harmonization (ICH).
- Recruits study participants.
- Reviews & obtains informed consent.
- Schedules study visits with participants.
- Conducts interviews.
- Scores test results.
- Collects survey data.
- Reviews medical records.
- Handles and transports biospecimens and study supplies.
- Consults with nurses & physicians to determine pretreatment & eligibility requirements of protocol from completion to registration of participants.
- Facilitates communication with key personnel & participants to maintain project study flow.
- Collects project data including processing, accuracy, analysis & evaluation of data ensuring that results meet project information and deliverable objectives.
- Provides consultation to internal/external project staff on appropriate data management, methodological issues and analysis of data.
- Maintains detailed records of procedures and results which may include collecting, extracting & entering data; &/or preparing basic charts & graphs.
- Performs scientific literature reviews and searches in support of research.
- Completes portions of grant applications &/or documents associated with current local, state, & federal regulatory guidelines, requirements, laws & research protocols.
- Maintains regulatory documents, prepares submissions and ensures compliance.
- Ensures appropriate and timely compliance with associated local, state, & federal regulatory guidelines, requirements, & laws; & research protocols.
- Assists with the writing and preparation of research protocols, funding proposals, abstracts and manuscripts.
- May process reimbursements for travel expenses.
- Monitors & distribute petty cash.
- Processes invoices &/or purchase requisitions.
- May train other research staff to recruit, interview/test participants.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as social or health science or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Must complete Northwestern's IRB CITI training before interacting with any participants & must re-certify every 3 years.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams and remote team members
- Experience with MS Office
- Strong organizational and record-keeping skills
- Strong communication, writing and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability and willingness to navigate sensitive discussion with patients and their families regarding cancer care
- Prior research experience (clinical or academic) preferred
- Prior experience with EPIC is preferred but not required
- Familiarity with HIPAA policies and best practices for handling protected health information
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Exhibits energy and desire to achieve, sets ambitious goals and acts decisively
- Able to adapt to changing environment and demands
- Knowledge of gynecology and/or oncology preferred but not required
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Job ID: 33735
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Title: Research Study Assistant