University of Chicago NMR Facility Manager in Chicago, Illinois
About the Unit
The responsibility of NMR facility manager will include support of five NMR and one EPR spectrometer: 500MHz Bruker Avance III, 500MHz Avance III HD, 500MHz Avance II+, 400MHz DRX and 400MHz Nanobay with autosampler as well as EPR spectrometer. Create, advise and help in execution of NMR experiments according to users needs.
- Training new users in proper use of NMR equipment according to best practices allowing to obtain good quality data. Make certain that the needs of all users are satisfied by direct consultation with users.
- Assist and advise NMR Facility users, who execute their experiments, in the operation of the facility instruments with respect to software, hardware and experimental protocol.
- Advise users on Facility resources on data processing and archiving.
- Perform software, electronics and mechanic hardware troubleshoot. Perform reparation in case of need.
- Make probe and other equipment changes for specific experiment protocols and ensure their performance.
- Advise on specifications for upgrading or purchasing of new instrumentation. Assist with installation of new equipment.
- Maintain and administrate the internal Linux computer network allowing transferring data outside facility.
- Maintain and administrate Linux reservation server.
- Service and maintenance of computer security firewall.
- Ensure the proper cryogens fill for magnets. Routine liquid nitrogen fills will be done with other staff assistance
- Interactive communication
- Analytical thinking
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities
- Microsoft Word suite
Education, Experience or Certification:
- PhD in the Physical Sciences, Chemistry or a related field is required.
- 5-10 years NMR related specific advanced training and work experience in multiuser facility is required.
Technical knowledge or skills:
- Documented expertise in applications and techniques of NMR spectroscopy.
- Advanced knowledge of NMR spectroscopy including pulse programming, data acquisition and processing, (RF) coil design and theory, NMR hardware diagnostics, computer hardware and software diagnostic is necessary.
- Proficiency in various computer systems and platforms such as Red Hat Linux and Centos is necessary.
- Three support letters
NOTE: When applying the resume and cover letter MUSTbe uploaded under Resume/CVsection of the application.
Send the three support letters to email@example.com Subject: JR02589.
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
- Posted 30+ Days Ago
- Full time