Kemper Corporation Manager 2, General Accounting in Chicago, Illinois
Kemper is one of the nation’s leading specialized insurers. Our success is a direct reflection of the talented and diverse people who make a positive difference in the lives of our customers every day. We believe a high-performing culture, valuable opportunities for personal development and professional challenge, and a healthy work-life balance can be highly motivating and productive. Kemper’s products and services are making a real difference to our customers, who have unique and evolving needs. By joining our team, you are helping to provide an experience to our stakeholders that delivers on our promises.
Kemper, a publicly-traded, multi-billion-dollar insurance and financial services company, seeks a talented and motivated professional to join its Accounting team at its headquarters in downtown Chicago. This is a fantastic role for a strong performer who is looking to be a key contributor in the Company’s efforts to transform the Accounting and Finance functions through maximization of process efficiency, automation of manual processes (including the use of bots), and improved speed-to-delivery. This role has significant exposure to GAAP, statutory, and SEC accounting, all within a multi-faceted insurance company (life, health, P&C). Kemper has a proven track record for developing its people for higher roles within the department as well as other functions across its corporate and operating entities. This role is a great way to develop a keen understanding of the Company. We will provide the mentoring and experiences to significantly enhance your skillset, which will position you for higher roles within the organization. The dynamic work environment at Kemper encourages critical thinking, engaging and empowering finance leaders to work collaboratively with others outside the finance function, and allowing them to achieve their potential, while still enabling work/life flexibility.
• Assist with managing a team of professionals in obtaining and analyzing data from various sources (e.g., systems, schedules, external vendors, etc.) for the preparation of GAAP financial statements, consolidations and other reports.
• Leading efforts to automate various processes by developing a deep understanding of source data and end user needs, and then assisting in the design, implementation, and oversight of solution.
• Reviewing and overseeing the preparation of monthly journal entries in Workday and account reconciliations in Blackline
• Assisting in the management of our internal and external financial reporting process, including SEC reporting on Form 10-Q and 10-K.
• Building and analyzing financial reports and dashboards,
• Assisting in the function of the Company’s SOX program, including interfacing with internal and external auditors as well as business leaders.
• Serving as a key resource for special projects with the ability to both lead as well as provide meaningful contributions.
• 6+ years of accounting/auditing experience (public and/or private).
• BA/BS degree in Accounting/Finance.
• Experience with insurance accounting (GAAP and statutory) is highly preferred.
• Experience with Workday and Oracle ledgers, Blackline, Wings, HFM, Workiva (wDesk), XBRL, and software robots is a strong plus.
• Progressive thinking skills, a strong work ethic, and a knack for innovative solutions.
• Excellent communication skills to interact with varying levels of management and professional staff.
• Effective writing skills and strong attention to detail required.
• Strong analytical, organizational, and time management skills.
• Ability to identify, analyze and solve accounting and operational issues.
• Intellectually curious, analytically strong, and embracer of change.
Kemper is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, disability status or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We are committed to supporting diversity and equality across our organization and we work diligently to maintain a workplace free from discrimination.
Kemper does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Kemper and Kemper will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.
-ZR -GD -IN -PT
- Kemper Corporation Jobs