University of Chicago Assoc Dir Grad Student Administrative Services in Chicago, Illinois
40662 UChicago GRAD
About the Unit
UChicagoGRAD, a part of the Office of the Provost that supports graduate education across the University, is an innovative national model for preparing graduate students and postdocs to succeed while at UChicago and beyond. With teams focusing on admissions, fellowship advising, writing support and public speaking training, diversity initiatives, career exploration and planning, and administration, UChicagoGRAD works with campus partners to support students and postdocs at every stage of their academic careers and beyond. UChicagoGRAD functions as a one-stop shop for graduate students and postdocs to access resources that support timely degree completion and to enhance professional preparation that helps them translate their degrees into a variety of careers. UChicagoGRAD works with academic departments and divisions as well as campus-wide offices to develop and implement outreach, recruitment, and yield efforts; graduate and postdoc-focused programs, workshops, and events; training and support tailored to UChicago graduate students and postdocs; and administrative practices and policies in support of graduate education.
Serves as liaison between the offices of the registrar, the bursar, and financial aid and select academic divisions and schools, as well as other campus partners to address registration and enrollment, student financials, payroll, student health insurance, and other administrative functions with the goal of providing excellent administrative services to graduate students and the divisional/school staff who support graduate education
In coordination with deans of students, maintains student records and financial records in the Academic Information System, including but not limited to creation and implementation of policies and business practices regarding matriculation, registration, academic records, financials, degree audit, milestone tracking, and graduation
Ensures timely and appropriate communication streams regarding deadlines and dissemination of other important information and requirements
Reports to the Executive Director of UChicagoGRAD Administration and Policy in close coordination with the University Registrar
- Oversight for student records and financial records in the Academic Information System for graduate students in multiple divisions and schools, in close coordination and communication with offices of the registrar, the bursar, and financial aid, relevant deans of students, departmental graduate program administrators, and other campus partners such as the Office of International Affairs and the Dissertation Office
- Ensures compliance with relevant institutional, state, and federal policies and procedures
- Oversees all aspects of the graduate student registration and financial life cycle including matriculation, quarterly registration, academic records, degree audit, milestone tracking, and graduation
- Trouble shoots student registration problems, working with students, departmental graduate program administrators, and deans of students offices
- Responsible for developing and maintaining effective informational websites and other communication streams regarding registration deadlines, policies, and procedures to provide timely and accurate information for administrative staff and for graduate students
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with multiple teams, team members, and units on campus
- Ability to identify long-term goals and implement incremental change to achieve goals
- Ability to take initiative and be proactive
- Ability to navigate ambiguity
- Ability to streamline processes and work efficiently
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience in student administration or a closely-related field.
- Demonstrated experience in data management and analysis required.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Experience with PeopleSoft student information system preferred.
- Understanding of graduate education preferred.
- Demonstrated experience communicating technical issues for a non-technical audience preferred.
- Demonstrated change management experience preferred.
- Familiarity with University of Chicago campus and culture preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required.
- Cover letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUSTbe uploaded under the Resume/CVsection of the application.
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
- Posted 30+ Days Ago
- Full time